05 Oct 7 reasons why your Restaurant bill is so high
If you’ve ever eaten out at a restaurant, chances are you’ve been shocked by the bill. You may not have realized it, but there are actually many reasons why your restaurant bill is so high. In this article, we’ll explore seven of them. Keep reading to learn more!
Reasons why your Restaurant bill is high
1. Food costs are constantly rising, so restaurateurs have no choice but to raise prices as well. When food costs rise, the cost of a meal must be raised. It’s an unfortunate reality that restaurateurs are faced with when they have no choice but to raise prices on their menu items in order to maintain revenue and keep up operations. The sad part about this, is that the customers are the ones who suffer this greatly and even the staff too, there could be downsizing if the restaurant can’t keep up with salaries. So next time you walk into your favorite restaurant to eat, this could be one of the major reasons why your bill is high.
2. The cost of rent and utilities is high, so restaurants have to mark up their prices to make a profit. Like many businesses, restaurateurs have to contend with higher rent and utilities that inevitably lead to a rise in prices. Here’s the cold hard truth: restaurants need lots of equipment and supplies, which costs lots of money too! The price you pay for your food is also a reflection of these high costs. (A study was taken currently concerning this, read here)
3. You’re ordering the most expensive items on the menu. Some people tend to order the most expensive dishes on the menu, while some customers aren’t too picky either, as they don’t mind spending a few extra bucks for food items that they find appetizing and interesting. While you might think this is an excellent idea, there’s a major downside to it – you’ll be paying more for food that you may not even enjoy, and you would end up being mad at yourself.
4. You’re using a credit card instead of cash. Many people use their credit cards to pay for their restaurant bills. The sad thing about this is that you’re not seeing the actual cost of your meal because once you sign your name, you just paid an extra fee that will go towards the credit card processing company. This may vary though in different countries but it’s safe and highly recommended that you go with cash.
5. You’re not splitting the bill evenly. This applies especially if you are someone who likes to dine out frequently with friends. Sometimes, the final bill could be daunting to pay, and it’d be much easier if everyone just paid for their own shares. While you would think that splitting the restaurant bill equally is a good idea, this has its downside as well because those who ordered more than what they can afford to pay will have very little left as change even though they consumed less.
6. You’re ordering the wrong items. Sometimes, you feel like ordering a certain dish that looks so tantalizing to the palate and just too good not to order. While that may be true, there are some people who ordered stuffs they don’t even eat or drink nor do they intend to finish them off because it’s just too expensive for them to afford.
7. You’re not taking advantage of the discounts. It’s always important to ask for discount especially if you are a regular customer in that particular restaurant. Don’t always be in a haste to spend your money, discounts are such a great way of making you spend less.
So, what’s the verdict? Are restaurant bills really that high? The answer is yes and no. There are a lot of factors that go into why your restaurant bill may be more expensive than you expected, but there are also ways to combat it. By understanding some of these reasons, you can be better prepared to tackle your next dining experience – both mentally and financially.
One feature Dinesurf has is that you can always check for restaurants based on your budget before making a reservation and you would not have to endure a high restaurant bill. To do this now, click here.
YOU MAY LIKE THIS